This notice is a requirement of the General Data Protection Regulation.
What this notice covers
Archers of the West is committed to protecting your personal information. In this notice, references to ‘we’ or ‘us’ means Archers of the West. This notice explains how we collect and use the personal information about you.
Who we are
Archers of the West is a data controller under the data protection rules and our Data Protection Officer is Denzil Searle, contactable at 2, Carn Arthen Villas, Carn Brea, Redruth, Cornwall TR15 3YA or 01209 716656.
Information we gather.
Archers of the West gathers certain information about you. Information about you is also used by our affiliated entities, namely ArcheryGB and its county and regional associations: the Devon and Cornwall Archery Society (DCAS) and the Grand Western Archery Society (GWAS).
We collect information in the following ways:
Information you give us.
When you become a member of Archers of the West you will give us information. You may also give us information when using our Website or membership system. Information may include your name, date of birth, postal address, email address, phone number, financial information, a personal description, disability, ethnicity, your archery qualifications, award history or CRB / DBS / PVG checks that have been undertaken and a photograph.
Information we get from your use of our Website and services.
Each time you visit our Website, we may automatically collect certain information. This information includes technical information, such as Internet Protocol (IP) addresses used to connect your computer to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and information relating to what pages you have viewed (e.g. using cookies as described further below);
When you enter competitions the following information may be collected and shared with tournament organisers, scoring systems and results may be published: First Name, Surname, Gender, Bow style, Date of Birth / Age category, Email, Address, Phone number, Club (and ID), County (and ID), Region (and ID), Round (unless defined by age), Disabled (Y/N), Disability info.
In accordance with our competition entry documentation, photography and video may be taken at events, and these images may be used on our website, social media platforms and promotional / internal documents.
Information about you from third parties.
Where Archers of the West works with third parties, such as web hosts and equipment retailers, we only release personal information about individual members when it is absolutely necessary and then only with your express permission.
How we may use your information
We rely on the legitimate interest basis to use your personal information in some circumstances. For example, when you apply to become a member of Archers of the West, we have a legitimate organisational interest to use your information to respond to you and give you the benefits of being a member as explained on the Website regarding features of being a member.
We also rely on obtaining your consent to use your personal information. For example, we will seek your consent to receive marketing via email and post about Archers of the West.
We may use your information for a number of purposes including the following:
1. compliance with legal, regulatory and corporate governance obligations and good practice;
2. to provide you with information about our activities that you have agreed to receive.
We will use the information we get from your use of our Website and services to:
1. administer our Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
2. improve our Website to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
3. allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
4. as part of our efforts to keep our Website safe and secure;
5. any other reasonable purposes of Archers of the West, acting always in accordance with the data protection law (as amended from time to time).
We will use the information you give us to:
1. perform services you have requested (such as providing you with Membership Benefits or providing you with information you have asked for);
2. administer the sport of Archery, for instance by providing shooting facilities and organising tournaments;
3. where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, or to pass your details on to third parties for marketing purposes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
4. notify you about changes to our service, including but not limited to any changes to the Member Benefits;
5. ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer; and
6. any other reasonable purposes of Archers of the West, acting always in accordance with the data protection law (as amended from time to time).
By Marketing, we mean the necessary communication between Archers of the West and its members to provide news about our activities. We may contact you for marketing purposes by email or text message if you have agreed to be contacted in this manner.
We may include information from other organisations in these communications.
It is your choice as to whether you want to receive information about our work, how we raise funds and the ways you can get involved. If you do not want us to use your personal information in these ways please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
You may opt-out of our marketing emails or change your contact preferences at any time by contacting our Data Protection Officer via telephone, email or by letter.
Information Sharing and Disclosure
We may share your information with the following selected third parties:
1. Associate bodies such as ArcheryGB, DCAS and GWAS in order that they may communicate with you regarding archery events only or to allow the associate bodies to manage the running of the sport in their areas.
2. Hayle Rugby Club, as members of Archers of the West are also required to be members of Hayle Rugby Club.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
1. If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies), or in order to enforce or apply other agreements; or
2. to protect the rights, property, or safety of Archers of the West, our Members, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection. No data outside of EEA.
We require these third parties to comply strictly with our instructions and data protection laws and we will make sure that appropriate controls are in place.
Users under 18.
If you are under 18 and would like to get involved, please ensure that you have consent from a parent or guardian before giving us your personal information. When we collect data about a child or young person aged under 18 we will make it very clear as to the reasons for collecting this data and how it will be used.
Keeping your records
We keep records only for as long as required to operate the service in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules.
Your membership information may be retained for 2 years. Following this period we will anonymise your membership history.
We may retain non identifiable data for statistical purposes.
Where we may store your information
The data that we collect from you will be transferred to, and stored at the homes of the officers of Archers of the West and on online systems.
By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
Archers of the West will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
You have the right to:
1. Have any inaccuracies in your data corrected. If you would like to update the details we hold about you other than online, please contact our Data Protection Officer via telephone, email or by letter.
2. Request that we delete your personal data.
3. You have a right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you. We require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification. Please address requests to the Data Protection Officer and we will respond within one month of receipt of your written request and confirmed ID. Please provide as much information as possible about the nature of your contact with us to help us locate your records. This request is free of charge unless the request is manifestly unfounded or excessive.
Changes to this notice and the way we treat personal information
We may update the terms of this privacy notice at any time, so please do check it from time to time.
We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address you have provided to us or by placing a prominent notice on our Website. By continuing to use our Website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
Enquires and Complaints
The Data Protection Officer is the first point of contact regarding any enquires arising from this Privacy Notice. Where possible, please raise all enquires in writing.
If you are unhappy with our work or something that we have done or failed to do, please inform us in writing. Archers of the West will acknowledge receipt of all complaints and will endeavour to investigate the complaint within 15 working days.
All complaints should be sent to:
Archers of the West
2, Carn Arthen Villas,
You may also complain directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are concerned with how we are handling your personal information using their online form which can be found here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling/.
Changes to this Notice
We may change this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way we treat your personal information we will contact you directly.
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 11th May 2018